Friday, October 22, 2010

Lukas

Do you ever get those glimpses into your kids future that just kind of frighten you? Lukas has given us these glimpses since early on, and now they are nearly every day. The kid is brilliant. I don't say this out of parent bias (I mean, I am of course), but it's just true. He remembers EVERYTHING! If you have to repeat it to him most likely he analyzed the information upon receiving it, found it to be not currently useful or beneficial, and therefore discarded it. This doesn't happen often though. Anything he's heard or seen is a possible topic for conversation for months later. This has us constantly racking our brains trying to figure out where he's heard or seen something. And when he asks questions he wants the real answer, not some easy short answer. This of course brings on major mental gymnastics on our part to find ways to explain what he wants to know in ways he can understand (I mean he is only 3.5), and then of course also brings out even more questions that half the time end up in me saying "I don't know how to explain that". He understands concepts that I would never expect a 3 year old to grasp, and then he turns around and applies them. From a parental point of view it is amazing and scary at times. I feel a bit at a loss as to how to teach him anything because he seems to grasp everything (which of course is not true). I know all kids can do this, but his out of the blue questions make me think about things I haven't thought about in years. I'm so grateful he is able to go to preschool because there they can help keep up with his avid need for knowledge. As a mom with two kids to keep up with I can only do so much.

I pray that God continues to show us how to help him put his mind to work because without focus I know he'll be bored and unmotivated. I am amazed by him daily (even on the days I'd like to give him away). His future is something I can't imagine, but I know he'll be genius at whatever he puts his mind to. I love my little man more than I could have ever dreamed possible!

No comments: