Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Conversation with Lukas

I have a list of things I need to find time to blog about, but I wanted to get this one written down before I forgot because it was an amazing conversation.

In the car is usually where Lukas decides to ask the most complicated questions that usually leave me digging in the through the far corners of my brain to find the answers. Then once I've found the answer, finding a way to explain it to the 3.5 year old that wants the real answer is always a trick. This particular conversation, however, started with leaves and had me almost in tears by the end of it.

Lukas: "Mommy, why are some leaves still green?"
Me: "Because they stay green all winter. They're called Evergreen trees."
L: "What are the ones without leaves called?"
M: "I can't remember, I'll have to look it up." (yes, I have since remembered that they are deciduous trees)
L: "Mommy, I want to climb those trees." (we were driving past trees by the lake)
M: (adding only the part that's relevant) "I used to climb trees at my Mema and Grandad's house."
**side note to say that we had to take time to straighten out that it was my grandparents not his.
L:"I want to go climb the trees at your grandparents house."
M:"Well, you can't, Sweetheart. They don't live here anymore."
L:"Where do they live?"
M:"They've died and gone to heaven to live with God."
L:"When will they come back?"
M:"They won't. One day we'll go to heaven to live with God too. We'll see them then."
L:"But when will they come back to life? Jesus did."
M:"Jesus was one special person. He was the Son of God, and he's the only special person that will ever come back to life.
L: (after thinking and processing) "I want to go see Jesus."

Oh yes, by the end of this one I was almost crying. Amazing how simple it is.

No comments: