Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Asthma Blues

A couple of weeks ago Lukas was diagnosed with upper respiratory crud that was close to pneumonia (but thankfully not quite). Needless to say, his breathing was a mess because of that. This started us off on a round of antibiotics, baby prednisone, albuterol breathing treatment 3 times a day, and pulmicort twice a day. We did all of this, and two days later he was doing better. This past week we ended up back at the doctor on Monday because his symptoms seemed to come back. His breathing checked out fine, and so she said it was probably a virus that hadn't cleared yet. All week we watched the green snotty nose, and did at least one albuterol treatment (this is his rescue medicene) a day. Friday afternoon landed us back at the doctor's office, an appointment that started at 2:30 and ended at 5:10. During this appointment Lukas got a chest x-ray down the street at a local emerency clinic and a breathing treatment. The x-ray told us that he's been laboring to breath for a while, so while he's not wheezing all the time he's certainly having trouble. It also showed some spots that could be pneumonia, but she was unsure. So, he is now on another antibiotic, baby prednisone, pulmicort twice a day, albuterol when needed (which is twice a day right now), and singulair. These are in addition to the allegra and rhinocourt he's also on daily. I have to admit I'm not really looking forward to this week with him back on the prednisone because while it does make him feel better it also makes him extremely hyper and grumpy. So for the next few days he will alternate between bouncing off the walls and crashing all while being moody to the extreme. But even when I'm ready to give him away because he's been crying at me all day I can't help but feel sorry for him. He's only 18 months old and he's on so much medicene just to try and get his breathing back under control. My doctor keeps telling me we've done a really good job with controling his asthma because while he's having a lot of trouble right now, he's also not ever been in the hospital. This is what I remind myself when I see him huffing and puffing while he's just sitting doing nothing.

The not fun, but lately very common breathing treatment. He's a trooper though. :) I guess it helps that he's been getting these since he was about 6 months old.



Reading, a favorite past time.



I told him to say "cheese", and this is what I got. Is he cute or what?!!

1 comment:

Jody said...

I really hope you get some good answers at the Dr, tommorrow. That little boy is too sweet to be sick!

j